it’s time for a break. I’ve been reading all afternoon and I need to do something else.
some points of deep gratefulness:
January:
-my parents visited me in Seattle. They continually make a point to come see wherever I may be, and I’m so thankful.
-Jamelyn and I had some down time and we reorganized and settled in to the Ravenna house. candles were a priority.
-time with roommates and Seattle friends. I was so lucky to make quick amazing friendships in Seattle with amazing women that I could laugh and cry and adventure with. I’m thankful.
-I started meeting with my therapist to meet requirements for school and it became so much more. Sarah pushed and encouraged me. I’m thankful for our conversations and her words.
February
-after our longest stint apart, J came to visit and asked me to be his best friend, wife and lover! I am marrying an amazing man. I’m real blessed.
-Band Practice. a couple of friends at school and I started a band in our imaginations, and as an excuse to see each other and study, we would have "Band Practice." productive and fun. well worth the randomness.
-Road Trip to Portland. we visited a church that was like fresh water for my soul. I cried. I’m thankful for the day with the girls.
March
-M&J moved from Seattle to the peninsula. I was super sad to see them go, but I’m thankful for the time I got to spend with them. I lived with them for about a month when I first got to Seattle and they hosted me with generosity. helping them move is one of my special gifts in life and I’m thankful for them each time. for their honesty, for their love, for their support. I also love their kids.
-one practicum was in particularly hard in March. I bawled and bawled. my group was caring and respectful, and afterwards I was so thankful J was in town. we got pho and he listened. I’m thankful for practicum at mhgs. it was crazy and intense and raw and revealing, but I’m most thankful it was challenging and real. after doing something similar at densem, I’m even more thankful.
April
-returning to CO for Easter weekend. a treat to be with J. a treat to celebrate N&L's birthday. a service with L at her church was a delight. I’m thankful for the time with my loved ones.
-studying for finals with friends and classmates was actually really helpful. maybe it's the nature of grad school. maybe it's mhgs, maybe it's just the people I knew? I’m thankful for my classmates and the teachers at mhgs. it WAS a disruptive year, but I learned, grew and was stretched. I was blessed and loved and encouraged. it was a gift.
-N&E came to visit for a brief weekend. they stayed with me and I enjoyed hanging out with them at the space needle and on a hike. I’m thankful that my family is growing.
May
-Multi-cultural class was like a rocket exploding in an already disturbed pond. I’m most thankful for the books and conversations. I’m more willing to see racism and more willing to ask others about their experiences.
-sweet moments with friends during our random summer schedules.
-BSF ended for the year. I’m thankful for the similar format to learn and talk about God. I needed a safe space to wrestle, learn and question.
June
-experiencing Seattle was fun with friends. I’m thankful for local fun.
-I babysat for the first half of the year for a friendly young boy and his fearless younger sister. taking them to the park with their mom was a highlight to "end" our times together. I also really loved the morning that they met J. we only ended up being at the house 15 minutes or so, but by that time the kids were charmed by J and cried that they didn’t want him to leave! that’s my man! he's really creative with kids and I can’t wait to have kids with him.
July
-N&E's wedding in Mexico. a treat to be at the beach and relax with family.
-dinner at an Indian restaurant to celebrate a friend’s birthday. meeting her family and other friends made me thankful for her love of others. she's got a big heart.
-a goodbye dinner with my roommates and friends was sweet. we ate like queens. I’m thankful for friends who are intentional with their time, words and lives.
-road trip with J back to CO. I’m thankful for a man who makes people a priority in his life.
August
-A murder mystery party with family. I’m thankful for excuses to dress up and laugh with my siblings.
-J hosted a party and played some music. I loved it. I’m thankful that J has great friends and for his music. He has amazing talent and passion.
-attended a creative women’s art circle sharing thing. it was amazing and I was encouraged and inspired. I’m thankful for places like this in Denver. they inspire me to keep moving towards my own creativity.
-P&S wedding in Boulder. I’m joining another family and it was such a blessing to spend more time with the Eliassens.
September
-Rockies games. I love being a baseball fan with J.
-I attended a creative spiritual formation group through the fall. I played with sharpies, pastels and oil pastels. I really was encouraged by the other women in the group. I’m thankful for art and that God isn’t afraid of my doubts and questions.
October
-Cirque du Soleil. I loved it! we went to celebrate my birthday and I was impressed. I’m thankful for acrobats and music and trapeze artists and fun costumes.
-breakfast with my man on my birthday. I could get used to this.
-we planted tulips at J's house and I’m REALLY looking forward to their beauty in the spring. I’m thankful for the basically empty yard at J's house. I’m thankful for the hope that bulbs give me. what seems to be nothing happening in the dead cold of winter becomes striking beauty in the spring.
-R came to visit during her fall break and we had good adventures. I’m thankful for her.
November
-the despair I was feeling about my new school in Denver began to have some shreds of lights shining in and this was hopeful. I found some good conversation places. there were shreds of hope in a dull academic setting. there were connections for potential friendships. I’m thankful for my studies. I love learning and I appreciate the places I can be creative and think outside the box.
-a weekend in the mountains with family was a treat. I could live at a cabin in the woods for at least a year and catch up on reading and rest. hmmm...sounds like the start of a dream for a sabbatical!? =)
-J hosted thanksgiving at his house. it was so fun to combine his parents with my siblings. I’m thankful for my loved ones. holidays aren’t always easy for me with family all over the globe, but thanksgiving was especially fun.
December
-I heard an excellent presentation about the possibility that we didn’t really land on the moon. I thought those who believed in "the moon hoax" might be crazy, but after seeing some of the footage and hearing both sides of the story, I don't really think so anymore. I do not know that we really did land on the moon and I do not really know that we didn’t. I’m thankful for those who pursue truth and are gentle in speaking it.
-Christmas fun. I’m thankful for a celebration of Jesus as the gift. he really is a good gift.
-the end of the semester. I’m halfway done with grad school! yahoo!
-transferring stores. I’m thankful for a new crew to work with. so far they seem fun.
I’m thankful. for those in my life. for the opportunity to be in grad school. for art. for my fiancée.
1 comment:
This is wonderful...I like all your thankfullness...I am a little bitter about 2009 so it's good to hear it was fabulous for you!
Post a Comment